Re: New URI scheme talk in RSS-land

From: Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 15:05:39 +0000
Cc: "'www-tag@w3.org'" <www-tag@w3.org>

Tim Bray wrote:

> I mean it needs the URI, because it wants to *subscribe* to the feed,
> i.e. stash the URI away somewhere and do a GET on it regularly to see if
> anything's changed.  I've suggested that in fact this proposed scheme
> shouldn't be named "feed:" it should be named "subscribe:" -Tim

(all imo)

"Subscribe" to me, means ask the server - if you will, a
subscription has a corresponding registration. "Feed" to me, means
it's there for the asking, I just have to make a connection. So I
respectfully disagree with you and Len and prefer "feed" in the RSS
case.

In work we ran across this feed/subscribe thing this week, and my
colleagues had to take some time out to unconfuse me. In our case it
was a continuous feed that you had to register to get access to. I
suspect making a URI alone to cover the combinations turns out to to
be tricky, since one implication here is that there's a
registration/negotiation protocol involved.

Bill de hÓra