Re: pls mark w3cMediaType-1 pending negotiations with IETF or something

Hello Graham, others,

At 11:05 03/12/05 +0000, Graham Klyne wrote:

>At 17:30 04/12/03 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:

>>People still seem to be using
>>   http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype.html
>>as guidance, and I haven't figured out whether I believe
>>that thing or not.

>The other point I would question is waiting until the W3C spec becomes a
>REC before requesting registration.  That adds further delay, and in the
>meantime the registration template exists in an Internet-draft form that
>folks can't be expected to find or take seriously.  I think that as soon
>as there is a stable and credible specification to point at then it's
>appropriate to request registration.

I plan to update registering-mediatype.html once the new ID is approved
as an RFC. The RFC obviously does not say anything about the W3C side
of the new process.

I was thinking about exactly the same questions as above.
I think review by the ietf-types mailing list should start early,
e.g. at last call, and submission to the IESG should be done e.g.
when going to CR, in order to not have implementers wonder about
whether this is serious or not. That way, hopefully we will get
IESG approval around PR or before REC. I'd appreciate everybody's
opinion on this issue.

>>draft-freed-mime-p4-04
>>posted by DanC at 2003-11-26 19:14 (+)
>>
>>         DanC: Internet Draft by Freed, Klensin October 20, 2003
>>         DanC:  IETF tracker status says "In State: Waiting for Writeup"

It's now actually in "IESG Evaluation" status
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_state_desc&
id=20), which is a serious step forward. It's on the IESG 'telechat' agenda
for 2003-12-18, so we should know more in about two weeks!
(not that the RFC will be published in 2 weeks, but we will know
whether it will move forward, which I expect to happen).

I have slightly updated http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype.html
to express the current status and expectations.

Regards,   Martin.