RE: New URI scheme talk in RSS-land

From: Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:10:56 -0800
To: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>, "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>, <algermissen@acm.org>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>

Yes, this is what most implementations will do. That's what my
implementation does.

>3.  It seems that what you are after is a
>    control to pass a value to the right application and
>    the only way to do that via pushing the data is to
>    push the URI and insist that browsers implement a
>    new control (actually, a new switch in the
>    URI processing code that does something surprising),
>    plus some means to take care of the default behaviors.
>It seems like a lot of hassle to get around a cut and paste
>operation to push the feed:/ or subscribe:/ or RSS itself to
>some first class citizen level.

What hassle? In Windows this is fairly straightforward to do from the
developer perspective and requires nothing from the user from an end
user perspective.

>  And if that exception is made
>for RSS, why not do it for mailing lists?

If mailing list managers and authors of mail readers what to implement
such a feature I don't see anyone stopping them.

You will always find something in the last place you look.