W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > August 2003

[Agenda] 18 Aug 2003 TAG teleconf (Binary XML WS, Arch Doc intro, Findings)

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: 13 Aug 2003 17:37:32 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org
Message-Id: <1060810651.2771.170.camel@seabright>

Hello,

The agenda for the 18 August 2003 TAG teleconf is available
as HTML [1] and as text below.

 _ Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/08/18-tag.html

==========================================================

   Agenda of 18 August 2003 TAG teleconference

1. Administrative (15min)
     1. Roll call. Regrets: IJ. TBL is likely to attend, but not 100%
        certain. Possible regrets DO, PC
     2. Accept the 28 Jul teleconf minutes?
     3. Accept the 4 Aug teleconf minutes?
     4. Accept this agenda?
     5. Next meeting: 25 August teleconf?

1.1 Binary XML Workshop
See discussion thread (Member-only) on TAG participation in Binary XML
Workshop.


2. Technical (75min)
2.0 Possible New Issues
See DC's suggestions for handling new issues

      * Meaning of URIs in RDF documents, raised by TBL. 
             1. Summary of issue
             2. Straw poll: Is there TAG support to add this to issues
                list?

2.1 Architecture Document
Reference draft: 1 August 2003 Editor's Draft of the Arch Doc


2.1.1 Review of actions related to Architecture Document
Open action items:

      * Action RF 2003/06/02: Rewrite section 3. From 21 July ftf
        meeting, due 18 August.
      * Action IJ 2003/06/16: Attempt to incorporate relevant bits of
        "Conversations and State" into section to be produced by RF.
      * Action TBL 2003/07/14: Suggest changes to section about
        extensibility related to "when to tunnel".
      * Action CL 2003/07/21: Create an illustration of two resources,
        one designated by URI without fragment, and one designated by
        same URI with fragment...
      * Action IJ, CL 2003/07/21: Discuss and propose improved wording
        of language regarding SVG spec in bulleted list in 2.5.1.
      * Action TBL 2003/07/21: Propose a replacement to "URI persistence
        ...person's mailbox" in 2.6 and continue to revise TBL draft of
        section 2.6 based on TAG's 23 July discussion.
      * Action DC 2003/07/21: Propose language for section 2.8.5 showing
        examples of freenet and other systems.
      * Action TB and CL 2003/07/21: Propose a replacement sentence in
        section 3.2.2.1 regarding advantages of text formats.
      * Action TB 2003/08/04: Write a definition of "XML-based"
      * Action NW 2003/08/04: Redraft 4.10.2 to include some good
        practice notes (e.g., use namespaces!)
      * Action IJ 2003/08/04: s/machine-readable/something like:
        optimized for processors, w/ defn that includes notion that it
        can be processed unattended (by a person).
      * Action NW 2003/08/04: Rewrite para 4 of 4.10.4.
The following action items were follow-up from the 22 July face-to-face
meeting in Vancouver:

      * Identification and resources 
             1. TBL 2003/08/21: Write replacement text for Moby Dick
                example in section 2.6 (on URI ambiguity). Is this done
                in TBL's draft?
      * Interactions 
             1. Completed action TB 2003/08/21: Protocol section story
                on Oaxaca (Done).
      * Representations 
             1. TB, IJ 2003/08/21: Integrate findings. What does this
                mean?

2.1.2 Introduction and Abstract
The TAG intends to focus on a rewrite of the abstract and introduction
based on comments from Tim Bray, Dan Connolly, and Roy Fielding.


2.2 Findings
See also TAG findings home page. 


2.2.1 Draft findings nearing closure
      * whenToUseGet-7: 9 July 2003 draft of URIs, Addressability, and
        the use of HTTP GET and POST
              * DO said he had additional comments at 21 July 2003 ftf
                meeting.
              * See comments from Noah
      * contentTypeOverride-24: 9 July 2003 draft of Client handling of
        MIME headers
             1. Comments from Roy on charset param
             2. Comments from Philipp Hoschka about usability issues
                when user involved in error correction. Is there a new
                Voice spec out we can point to for example behavior?
             3. Comments from Chris Lilley
             4. Change "MIME headers" to "server metadata" in title?
      * Action IJ 2003/07/21: Update Deep linking finding (i.e., create
        a new revision) with references to German court decision
        regarding deep linking. No additional review required since just
        an external reference.

2.2.2 Draft findings that require more discussion
      * xmlIDSemantics-32: 
             1. Chris Lilley draft finding.
             2. Action CL 2003/06/30: Revise this draft finding with new
                input from reviewers.
      * contentPresentation-26: Action CL 2003/06/02: Make available a
        draft finding on content/presentation. From 21 July ftf meeting,
        revision due 8 August.
      * metadataInURI-31: 8 July 2003 draft of "The use of Metadata in
        URIs" 
              * Action SW 2003/07/21: Produce a revision of this finding
                based on Vancouver ftf meeting discussion.
              * Action DO 2003/07/07: Send rationale about why WSDL WG
                wants to peek inside the URI.
              * See also TB email on Apple Music Store and use of URI
                schemes instead of headers
              * See comments from Mark Nottingham
      * abstractComponentRefs-37
              * Action DO 2003/06/23: Point Jonathan Marsh at options.
                Ask them for their analysis.

2.2.3 Expected new findings
     1. Action IJ 2003/06/09: Turn TB apple story into a finding.
     2. Action PC: Finding on namespace documents, due 31 August 2003
     3. Action NW, DO 2003/08/21: Finding on extensibility, due 15
        August 2003.

2.3 Issues
The TAG does not expect to discuss these issues at this meeting.


2.3.1 Identifiers (URIEquivalence-15 , IRIEverywhere-27)
      * URIEquivalence-15
              * SW proposal: Track RFC2396bis where Tim Bray text has
                been integrated. Comment within the IETF process. Move
                this issue to pending state.
      * IRIEverywhere-27
              * Action CL 2003/04/07: Revised position statement on use
                of IRIs.
              * Action TBL 2003/04/28: Explain how existing
                specifications that handle IRIs are inconsistent. TBL
                draft not yet available on www-tag.
              * See TB's proposed step forward on IRI 27.

2.3.2 Qnames, fragments, and media types(rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6,
fragmentInXML-28, abstractComponentRefs-37, putMediaType-38)
      * rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6
              * Action DC 2003/02/06: Propose TAG response to XML Schema
                desideratum (RQ-23).
      * fragmentInXML-28 : Use of fragment identifiers in XML. 
             1. Connection to content negotiation?
             2. Connection to opacity of URIs?
             3. No actions associated / no owner.
      * abstractComponentRefs-37(discussed above).
      * putMediaType-38

2.3.3 New and other Issues requested for discussion.
(mixedUIXMLNamespace-33, RDFinXHTML-35, siteData-36 plus possible new
issues)
Existing Issues:

      * mixedUIXMLNamespace-33
      * RDFinXHTML-35
      * siteData-36
              * Action TBL 2003/02/24 : Summarize siteData-36

2.3.5 Miscellaneous issues
      * namespaceDocument-8
              * Action TB 2003/04/07: Prepare RDDL Note. Include in
                status section that there is TAG consensus that RDDL is
                a suitable format for representations of an XML
                namespace. Clean up messy section 4 of RDDL draft and
                investigate and publish a canonical mapping to RDF. From
                21 July ftf meeting, due 31 August.
              * Action PC 2003/04/07: Prepare finding to answer this
                issue, pointing to the RDDL Note. See comments from Paul
                regarding TB theses. From 21 July ftf meeting, due 31
                August.
              * Refer to draft TAG opinion from Tim Bray on the use of
                URNs for namespace names.
      * uriMediaType-9
              * IANA appears to have responded to the spirit of this
                draft (see email from Chris Lilley).What's required to
                close this issue?
              * Action CL 2003/05/05: Propose CL's three changes to
                registration process to Ned Freed. [What forum?]
      * HTTPSubstrate-16
              * Action RF 2003/02/06: Write a response to IESG asking
                whether the Web services example in the SOAP 1.2 primer
                is intended to be excluded from RFC 3205
              * See message from Larry Masinter w.r.t. Web services.
      * xlinkScope-23
              * See draft, and SW message to CG chairs.
              * Action CL 2003/06/30: Ping the chairs of those groups
                asking for an update on xlinkScope-23.
      * binaryXML-30
              * Action TB 2003/02/17: Write to www-tag with his thoughts
                on adding to survey.
              * Action IJ 2003/07/21: Add link from issues list
                binaryXML-30 to upcoming workshop
              * Next steps to finding? See summary from Chris.
      * xmlFunctions-34
              * Action TBL 2003/02/06: State the issue with a reference
                to XML Core work. See email from TimBL capturing some of
                the issues.
      * charmodReview-17
             1. Completed action IJ 2003/07/14: Move issue 17 to pending
                rather than resolved.
             2. Completed action DC: Remind I18N WG of what we are
                expecting regarding issue 17; send this on behalf of the
                TAG (Done).

3. Other actions
      * Action IJ 2003/02/06: Modify issues list to show that
        actions/pending are orthogonal to decisions. PLH has put the
        issues list in production; see the DOM issues list.

________________________________________________________________________
Ian Jacobs for Stuart Williams and TimBL
Last modified: $Date: 2003/08/13 21:36:41 $

-- 
Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447
Received on Wednesday, 13 August 2003 17:37:42 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:47:20 GMT