Re: Grinding to a halt on Issue 27.

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:20:48 +0200
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>
Cc: WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>> More importantly, it is because the namespaces draft cannot declare them
>>> to be different because a normalizer has every right (and in some cases
>>> a responsibility) to normalize those URIs before the namespace processor
>>> even sees them.
>>
>> I find this argument hard to follow without a concrete example here.
>
> Normalization of identifiers is often done by link management systems
> to reduce unnecessary duplication of URI trees by sloppy human folks,
> since such duplication effects both downstream caches and the valuation
> function applied by third-party indexers.  It was one of the most common
> feature requests for MOMspider.
>
> I expect that similar normalizers will work on xmlns attributes

I'd say anyone running link normalization software on his xmlns's is begging to
please get into deep trouble. I understand your nervousness about the fact that
the IRI spec isn't final, but I find this argument to be akin to "forbid cissors
because people might run with them".

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/