Re: Grinding to a halt on Issue 27.

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:51:48 -0700
Cc: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

>> More importantly, it is because the namespaces draft cannot declare
>> them
>> to be different because a normalizer has every right (and in some
>> cases
>> a responsibility) to normalize those URIs before the namespace
>> processor
>> even sees them.
>
> For example?
>
> I find this argument hard to follow without a concrete example here.

Normalization of identifiers is often done by link management systems
to reduce unnecessary duplication of URI trees by sloppy human folks,
since such duplication effects both downstream caches and the valuation
function applied by third-party indexers.  It was one of the most common
feature requests for MOMspider.

I expect that similar normalizers will work on xmlns attributes, with
or without blessing of the specification, because such duplication
might have significant performance implications on a system that
processes and combines XML from many sources (e.g., Cocoon, blogs,
etc.).  Besides, its just untidy, and there's no shortage of anal
folks in the Web content industry.

....Roy