RE: namespaceDocument-8: possible interaction with Namespaces in XML 1.1

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:10:19 -0500
To: "'Tim Bray'" <tbray@textuality.com>, Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Cc: "'Paul Cotton'" <pcotton@microsoft.com>, www-tag@w3.org, "'Paul Grosso'" <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, roy.fielding@day.com

First, it is not that they want it not to be dereferenceable,
they want dereferencability to be separated from nameing.  That
is, the system by which a name is formally assigned and managed
is not tightly coupled to the system of assigning names to
locations.  See Public Identifiers.

Second, it reduces confusion where names in browser displays
are instanced as controls.  Don't shock the monkey.

len

From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]

And I do acknowledge that there are people who seem to want namespace
names that are guaranteed *not* to be dereferencable, and some URN
namespace is probably a way to achieve that goal; but I've never been
able to understand why this would ever be a sensible goal.