Re: two failings of XLink

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:39:24 -0400
To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
cc: www-tag@w3.org

Elliotte writes:
> I'm not sure we're asking the same question. That may be why we're
> getting different answers. :-)

I think we're asking it for different purposes.

> I'm counting it as one img element *and* as 11 elements total.
> However, if you take away any of those ten child elements or their
> content you have changed the one img element.

Sure.  But to me the need for the 10 child elements in that case is
unfortunate, and telling me that it's so simple because it's just one
element is misleading at best.

>From my perspective, XLink creates an enormous mess with lots of parts.
From your perspective, it creates a clean tree.  I don't think either of
us will budge any time soon.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether