Re: two failings of XLink

At 3:15 PM +0100 9/27/02, Jeni Tennison wrote:

>Just to be clear: you're advocating using XLink syntax (xlink:href
>attributes etc.) but ignoring XLink semantics (namely the distinction
>between simple and extended links).

Not at all. I'm saying I do want to use XLinks, both syntax and
semantics. However, I want to use simple link syntax and semantics
rather than extended link syntax and semantics. I think multiple
simple links are a good fit for XHTML's needs.

>You're also advocating that XHTML is a "special case" as a markup
>language and therefore should be treated differently from other markup
>languages when it comes to tool support.

Yes, I'm advocating that it's a special case, but not for the reason
you cite. I think it's a special case because of the vast installed
base of hypertext. Thus as a practical matter any reasonable tool
will treat HTML first and generic XML second.