Is XHTML a dead end?

From: <Svgdeveloper@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:47:57 EDT
To: mc@xegesis.org, www-tag@w3.org
In a message dated 26/09/2002 20:09:58 GMT Daylight Time, mc@xegesis.org
writes:

> In my humble and personal opinion, given that the world has not rushed to
> implement
> XLink nor is it clamoring for XHTML 2, there's time to step back,
> reconsider
> all assumptions, and maybe get both right next time.

Mike,

Perhaps you didn't quite mean *all* assumptions. :)

A perfectly genuine question in my mind is whether XHTML is and will continue
to be a dead end.

I could make this a very lengthy post but I think the bald question, "Is
XHTML worth persevering worth?" encapsulates the questioning of a perhaps
dearly held assumption. It's an assumption worth examining in detail in my
view.

Andrew Watt