About XLink discussion

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:28:45 -0700
To: HTML WG <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Steven Pemberton wrote:
>>In light of this conclusion, it is the unanimous opinion of the TAG
>>that XLink should be used for hypertext references in XHTML 2.0.
>
> It is not clear you have the authority to say that.

We certainly have the right to our opinions; of course they may be wrong
:), which is why this mailing list exists.

Although I wasn't authorized to do so, I think I can safely say, on
behalf of the TAG, that we realize that this is a controversial area and
that there's a lot of history.

Speaking for myself, I'm going to hold off this discussion for a couple
more days to leave time and room for people to put opinions on the
record and interact.  Also, I know for a fact that several of the TAG
members are on the road in the immediate future.  So I thought it was
worth posting here to say that even if there's no immediate feedback,
we're not ignoring the issues.

Now, speaking for myself, a couple of meta-issues:
- Specific subject lines, more so than "TAG Opinion on XLink", would be
very helpful; thanks in advance.
- I think it would benefit everyone if the discussion were to include
coverage of the *technical* issues as regards HTML and hyperlinking
markup syntax.

   -Tim