RE: How to Version XML Applications

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:51:10 -0500
To: "'Norman Walsh'" <Norman.Walsh@sun.com>, www-tag@w3.org

Isn't that going to lead back to the potential of
having a document with multiple namespaces but no
normative schema?  That's a can of worms.  It is as if one
wanted versioning for relational views when in effect,
one should version the query that creates them.

len

From: Norman Walsh [mailto:Norman.Walsh@sun.com]

/ "Anthony B. Coates" <abcoates@TheOffice.net> was heard to say:
| If that isn't versioned, how to you tell which version is being referred to?  I'm
| yet to invent or read a solution that I find sufficiently robust and convincing.

You force the document to be self describing by adding a required
version attribute or element. If the attribute is present, you know
the version. If it's missing, the document isn't valid according to
its schema.