Re: First public WD of "Architectural Principles of the World Wide Web"

From: Anthony B. Coates <abcoates@TheOffice.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 21:31:27 +0100
To: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>

** Reply to message from "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org> on Fri, 30 Aug 2002
13:51:35 -0400

With regard to

----
Editor's note: While people agree that URIs identify resources (per [RFC2396]),
there is not yet consensus that absolute URI references with fragment identifies
may be used to identify resources. Some people contend that an absolute URI
reference with a fragment identifier identifies a portion of a representation.
----

I would venture that a URI identifies a resource, but that a complex resource
might contain portions that people equate with individual "things" or
"concepts".  In that view, the resource would be a compound resource.  So, for
example

http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema

refers to a compound resource (if any) that identifies the whole of W3C XML
Schema, while

http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int

identifies the integer datatype within W3C XML Schema.  I think this view would
also work for RDF & Topic Maps, where fragments are used to identify individual
items within a compound resource.  Or have I missed something completely here?

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates, Information & Software Architect
mailto:abcoates@TheOffice.net
MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language)
http://www.mddl.org/