Re: //example.org/car (was lack of consensus on httpRange-14)

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 03:37:53PM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> Seems that it doesn't matter what the scheme is, beit "now" or "id" or
> "foo", as long as there are no methods defined in the IANA registry.  If
> that's the approach you are suggesting.

Dave, I don't know what you mean by "as long as there are no methods
defined in the IANA registry".  Could you elaborate, please?

IMO, the URI scheme a resource identifier uses most definitely does
matter, since it identifies the abstract space in which the resource is
to be accessed.  You wouldn't use a "stockquote" scheme to identify
telephone numbers, because a set of operations suitable for accessing
stock quotes won't likely be suitable for telephone numbers ... which is
why the http space is so special, since its operations, and any extended
ones, are defined to apply to all things (hence "uniform interface").

MB