Re: Links are links

At 11:10 AM 9/30/2002 -0800, Paul Prescod wrote:

>Norman Walsh wrote:
> >
> >I have to say that an applet like this seems like a really good
> >example of something that isn't the sort of thing I'd point to with an
> >XLink. That just doesn't smell like a hypertext reference to me.
>
>Can someone please explain the virtue of trying to distinguish between
>"hypertext links" and "other links"? To me it sounds not only meaningless
>but actually harmful to the development of real-world software.

My interest in rooting out the source of Norm's comments that this object
example really wasn't a candidate for a hyperlink reference was to find out
what exactly he DID want someone do to with it, when writing XHTML and
whatever linking mechanism is to be agreed upon. If it's not a candidate
for XLink, what should those references be? Would we then not have a need
for a complimentary linking facility?

Ann
-----
Ann Navarro, WebGeek, Inc.