Re: Let's get some principles nailed down

From: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:24:06 +0000
To: WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>

Paul Prescod wrote,
> An XML namespace is just a set of names. According to the abstract
> model they have no semantic significance beyond that. By analogy, a
> function in a programming language is just a unit of code that takes
> inputs and generates outputs. Nevertheless, one SHOULD document
> functions in a programming language and SHOULD document one's
> namespaces.

The documentation for a function in a programming language should tell
you what it does and what it's for. A namespace doesn't _do_ anything
and it's _for_ disambiguating names ... which is documented perfectly
adequately in the Namespaces REC.

I _might_ choose to impose additional semantics on my namespaces, in
which case I agree that I SHOULD document those semantics. But if I
don't impose additional semantics then there's nothing to be
documented.

Cheers,

Miles