Re: Let's get some principles nailed down

Tim Bray writes:
>CP2. When specifying the use of URIs, designers SHOULD NOT constrain
>the use of URI schemes.

<buzzer />

Unconstrained use of URIs and URI schemes seems like the best way to
make the notion of the Web both meaningless and hopelessly complicated
over the next ten years.  It's time to put the "URIs are magic pixie
dust" principles back in the bottle and start encouraging people to ask
what exactly they are doing in using URIs.

Those questions include:

* What am I identifiying?

* What is an appropriate scheme for identifying THAT?

* Am I identifying resources (URIs) or representations (URI references)?

* How do I expect others to interpret my identification?

These MAY be questions that the users of a specification have to decide
rather than the designers, but telling designers that they SHOULD NOT
consider these questions in the course of a design seems foolhardy.

Widely-ignored notions about the opacity of identifiers don't mean that
you can stop thinking about the paths from identifier to resource.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether