REST Interaction principles

Excellent, I was hoping we'd get to filling out section 4 soon.

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 06:54:11PM -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
> Examples concerning Interaction
>
> CP9. Designers of protocols should invest time in understanding the REST
> paradigm and consider the role to which its principles should guide
> their design:
> - statelessness
> - clear assignment of roles to parties
> - flat addrss space
> - limited uniform set of verbs

Eeek!  I was hoping that the architecture document would have a bit
more teeth than this!

If a principle is something that is followed to imbue the system with
some desired property (is it?), then I'd say something like;

"Interactions on the Web should be constrained to have semantics which
are applicable to all components ("uniform interface"), and also to
contain all the information necessary in which to understand the
meaning of the interaction ("stateless")."

> CP11. Designers of protocols should give serious consideration to
> avoiding such design activities in favor of existing well-established
> protocols such as HTTP that fit well into REST.

I agree, but that's a pretty soft principle, so I'd be happy to leave it
out.

MB
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.   http://www.markbaker.ca