Re: Comments on charmod from Chris

Chris Lilley wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
>  Here are my own, personal, comments on the charmod last call draft
>  [1]. I am posting them here to encourage discussion and as a step
>  towards a TAG finding on issue 17 [2].

My comments too are personal.

> These sections (collectively "character 101"):
> 3 Characters.
> 5 Compatibility and Formatting Characters.
> 6 String Identity Matching.
> 7 String Indexing
> 9 Referencing the Unicode Standard and ISO/IEC 10646
>
> taken as a group, are great, in general, and should be collected together
 >with appropritate intrioductory and reference material as a separate
document
 >and move to Proposed Rec once it exits Last Call.

Agreed.

> Section 4 Early Uniform Normalization is very important, but affects a lot
 >of specifications and needs, I believe, a CR period as does section 8

Haven't made up my mind about 8, but I agree about 4.  In particular,
this one clearly has a complex cost/benefit trade-off; there is a
substantial advantage to enforcing Early Uniform Normalization on
everything, but also a nontrivial cost.  I think we need more
information on costs and benefits before we can make this call, and CR
seems like the right way to get it.

> 3.7
>
> "[S] Escaped characters SHOULD be acceptable wherever unescaped characters are;
 >this does not preclude that a syntax-significant character, when
escaped, loses
 >its significance in the syntax. In particular, escaped characters
SHOULD be
 >acceptable in identifiers and comments."
>
> XML should allow NCRs everywhere, for example inside element and attribute names?

Yes, it probably should have.  If I'm stuck in an ASCII environment I
can create Arabic content in XML using NCRs, but if there's even one
Arabic attribute/tag name I'm probably stuck.  It may be too late to fix
XML, but I think the SHOULD is accurate.

> 8 Character Encoding in URI References
>
> Why not go further and say that the IRI form is used in the document instance
> and the hexified URI form when it goes over the wire?

Indeed, why not?  -Tim