Re: FW: draft findings on Unsafe Methods (whenToUseGet-7)

I missed this directed question the first pass through:

On Tuesday, April 23, 2002, at 09:28  PM, Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
> I have a question for Roy:
> If you believe that SOAP is such "bad technology", why do you condone not
> one, but two, SOAP projects at Apache?

Two reasons:

   1) Any technology, even a bad one, can be improved by open implementation
      in a community forum; it may still be worse than some alternative, but
      at least then you can compare them based on merit.

   2) My official role in the Apache Software Foundation is to ensure that
      our software is developed in an open, collaborative fashion and
legally
      distributed as open source for the public benefit.  If I were to use
      my role as chairman to make technical decisions, I would be
      contradicting the spirit of collaboration and the principles that
      I insisted upon when creating the Foundation: all technical decisions
      are made by the project committers.

I am not a committer on those projects.  I don't even have enough bandwidth
available to read all of the developer mailing lists.  That does not mean,
however, that I am incapable of reading the SOAP specs or that I do not
have an informed opinion on the technology.  However, if anyone is going
to prove me wrong, it will most likely be another Apache developer.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding, Chairman, The Apache Software Foundation
                  (fielding@apache.org)  <http://www.apache.org/>

                  Chief Scientist, Day Software
                  2 Corporate Plaza, Suite 150
                  Newport Beach, CA 92660-7929   fax:+1.949.644.5064
                  (roy.fielding@day.com) <http://www.day.com/>