SOAP breaks HTTP?

At 04:13 PM 20/03/02 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>  SOAP is not HTTP compliant because it ships
>actions with the content that contradict the application semantics described
>in the control data of an HTTP message.  That breaks intermediares.

Uh... I had not realized this.  Is one of our SOAP people going
to disagree with Roy on this?  It seems like a rather important
point.

And Roy, for the less expert, could you explain this in words
of one syllable?  I didn't think that you could practically
speaking send a SOAP request with a GET, and it's OK if a
POST transaction changes a server state, so I'm clearly
missing something (probably because I haven't been to the
mat with SOAP). -Tim