Re: The range of the HTTP dereference function

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:06:33 +0000
To: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>, <danc@w3.org>, "'www-tag'" <www-tag@w3.org>
At 06:41 PM 3/20/02 -0500, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>The URI spec tells us that the significance of the URI with the hash
>on is a function of the language of  document you get when you
>dereference the thing before the hash.  Therefore, for an RDF document,
>RDF defines what the thing *with* the hash identifies (anything)

This feels to me like a confusion between the thing referenced and the
thing doing the referencing:

   RDF-doc  --references-->  something#fragment

As I understand the web principles, the meaning of #fragment here is not
dependent on the (MIME) content of 'RDF-doc', but of 'something'.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>