Re: section 1, intro, for review

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 02:59:51 -0800
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Rob Lanphier wrote:

> ... I'm asking how you decide when to
> > invent a new application protocol or just use HTTP.
>
> My 2 cents:  no.
>
> See RFC 3205 for the justification and for a detailed discussion as to
> guidelines for using HTTP as a substrate:

I'm not talking about using HTTP as a substrate for a new applicaiton
protocol. I am talking about using HTTP to GET/PUT/POST/DELETE
URI-described resources, as it was intended.

> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3205.txt
>
> Email constitutes a substantially different service than traditional HTTP.

Hundreds of thousands of people send and receive email over HTTP every
day. Anyhow, the question is not whether a new problem domain is
addressed. If so, mailing lists would need a different protocol from
ordinary mail and airline websites from auto sales websites. The
question is whether the protocol's syntax and semantics are respected.

 Paul Prescod