Re: The range of the HTTP dereference function

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:04:55 -0500 (EST)
To: timbl@w3.org (Tim Berners-Lee)
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
> http2://www.w3.org/foo could be defined to have return codes
> "Here is the contents of x which is a document" and "Here is some
> information about x"
> so that as a superset of HTTP it could provide a space in which
> abstract objects existed.
>
> But http1.1 does not have that and that fact is a useful one to record, I
> think

It's very useful.  But isn't this relationship between these two
resources exactly what Content-Location asserts?  That's my
understanding, though I acknowledge that RFC 2616 fails to capture it
well.  For example, in 14.14, it says;

 "[...]resource location for the entity enclosed in the message"

We need a new name for this thing.  How about "variant resource"?

DanC and I are talking about this offline;

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2002Mar/0040.html

MB