Suggestion: Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:53:36 +0100
To: reagle@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

At 12:53 PM 6/11/02 -0400, Joseph Reagle wrote:

>On Tuesday 11 June 2002 11:58 am, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> > 1) Published the following completed findings:
> >
> >   - "Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use":
> >     http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2002/0129-mime
> >W3C Working Groups engaged in defining a language SHOULD
> >arrange for the registration of an Internet Media Type (defined in
> >RFC 2046 [RFC2046]) for that language. If so, the IETF registration
> >forms MUST be part of the language specification, and SHOULD be
> >part of the specification starting at Candidate Recommendation status.
>
>As I've noted earlier this could introduce a source of delay and confusion
>in the advancement of W3C specifications. [...]

[Following some offline discussion]
How about the following revision of the above paragraph:

[[
W3C Working Groups engaged in defining a language SHOULD arrange for the
registration of an Internet Media Type (defined in RFC 2046 [RFC2046])
for that language.  An initial publication of the appropriate MIME type
registration template SHOULD be available as part of the specification
starting at Candidate Recommendation.
]]

The aim of this is to respect the architectural requirement without
stepping too heavily on process detail.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>