Re: httpRange-14 , what's the problem

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:59:42 -0400
To: "Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net>, "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>, "www-tag" <www-tag@w3.org>
Cc: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 9:35 PM

> I think that the real point of argument is D:
>
> D. Does HTTP address abstract resources that have representations or
> does it address only documents.
>
>  * http://www.w3.org/2002/07/15-tag-summary#L3330
>
> DC: RF, so you conclude I can point to my car with an HTTP URI?
> RF: Yes.
> TBL: I have in my mind a consistent model where HTTP URI points to a
> document about a car. I don't have a consistent system where HTTP URIs
> designate cars.

Yes.   This is indeed the issue.  I was asked (in the TAG)  to explain my
position and
have done my best in the time available in
 http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/HTTP-URI.html

This explains why I find alternative positions which have been posted
so far unacceptable.

Tim BL

PS: The "range" word is from the "range of the HTTP dereference function"
in the sense of "Class of which results of the function must be a member",
in other word "what HTTP URIs identify".