Fragment identifiers and intermediaries

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:24:08 -0400
To: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 09:48:00AM -0700, Joshua Allen wrote:
> Can you please elaborate on how you believe RDF to be related to
> *accessing* a resource?

Well, RDF is what you get when you access a resource.  And by virtue
of including links to other resources, it's how you find your way to
them via GET, to potentially find more RDF.  During a state transition
like that, I want my intermediaries to know which resource is being
accessed so that they can add some value.  If the fragment is part of
the identifier for that resource, then they can't.

e.g. if you click on http://example.org/#cat or http://example.org/#dog
then an intermediary will only know that you clicked on
http://example.org, and therefore not whether you wanted to know more
about cats or dogs.

MB