Re: fragment identifiers

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:07:50 -0700
To: www-tag@w3.org

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

[Good stuff, Roy]

>   In HTML, a fragment
> identifies a portion of the complete virtual document, not
> just the bits within the HTML framework.

I'm not sure about that - in *valid* HTML, in principle, a fragment
could refer to a "portion" of the data; in real life a fragment seems
effectively an arrow pointing at a location within the document... I've
never seen a user agent that would process foo.html#bar by selecting out
the element that had name="bar" or id="bar", only by maneuvering to
where that element starts.

Not that this changes anything in the underlying argument. -Tim