Re: Fixed Section 1.1 language

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:45:02 -0400
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Nice job -- overall I like it a lot.  A couple of small suggestions:

#1:

<original>
The introduction of new URI schemes SHOULD be avoided.
</original>
<proposed>
The unnecessary introduction of new URI schemes SHOULD be avoided.
</proposed>
- or -
<proposed>
The introduction of new URI schemes SHOULD be minimized.
</proposed>

Presumably there are, from time to time, good reasons for introducing new
schemes.  Introduction of such schemes SHOULD NOT be avoided IMO.  The
original suggests it's always a bad idea.

<original>
It is often necessary to compare URIs for equivalence to determine whether
they identify the same resource. URI schemes vary in their definitions of
equivalence.

For example, URNs
</original>

I understand and agree with what's intended by this statement.  On the
other hand, it seems to unintentionally open the broader question of
taking two arbitrary URI's and determining using some general means
whether they refer to the same resource.  For example, does
(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml) refer to the same resource as
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006).  I believe that, at the
moment, it does.

<proposed>
It is not in general possible to determine by inspection whether two
different URI's refer to the same resource.  Particular URI schemes MAY,
however, mandate equivalence for particular sets of URIs using that
scheme.

For example, URNs ...
</proposed>

Again, thanks for doing such a nice job on this.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

        Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
        Sent by: www-tag-request@w3.org