Re: Context Independent URI

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:32:17 -0700
To: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Cc: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "'www-tag@w3.org'" <www-tag@w3.org>

Aaron Swartz wrote:

> On Monday, July 22, 2002, at 04:39  AM, Williams, Stuart wrote:
>
>> *If* "nutrition facts and buying information" and "cooking
>> instruction" are
>> reasonable representations of the same concept/resource... then I
>> guess that
>> would be fine... but I'm trying to think what the 'super-concept' might be
>> that admits representation as "nutrition facts etc." or "cooking
>> instructions".
>
> The concept is a box of cereal

I'm saying that these do not feel like reasonable representations of the
same resource.  I think "nutrition facts" and "cooking instructions" are
totally different resources which deserve separate URIs.  Consider a
future web in which it is routine to have machine-processable versions
of resources, how is the machine to decide which representation it
wants?  -Tikm