RE: Context Independent URI

From: Williams, Stuart <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:01:35 +0100
To: "'Miles Sabin'" <miles@milessabin.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Miles,

Yes, I agree, the resource denoted by a relative URI is also context
dependent. What I am trying to pick up is that there are also some
(syntactically) absolute URI (in that they start with a scheme name) that
are also context dependent... eg. URI which use an unqualified domain name
as the assigning authority; file: scheme URI which allow a hostname, but do
not identify the namespace from which the hostname is taken (eg
internet-domain name, DECNet, Novell IPX, Appletalk...).

Do each of the absolute URI file:///etc/passwd or
file://localhost/autoexec.bat or http://cally/ identify a single resource or
concept?

> At the very least the text of the principle needs
> a bit of serious tweaking.

So... is there a particular 'tweak' that you had in mind?

> Cheers,
>

> Miles

Thanks,

Stuart