Re: Context Independent URI

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 16:25:20 -0500
Cc: "'www-tag@w3.org'" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

On Sunday, July 21, 2002, at 04:18  PM, Williams, Stuart wrote:
> <principle>
> ContextIndependentURI:
> A URI SHOULD denote the same resource or concept independent of the
> context(s) in which the URI is used. i.e. when used on different
> occasions
> or by different users or in different locations, a given URI SHOULD
> denote
> the same resource or concept.
> </principle>

Looks good. You might want to emphasize the "resource or concept" bit
somewhere. I know some people who are thrown off by this and think that
persistence and context-independence means it must always resolve to the
same kind of bit package. For example, a contextIndependentURI could
resolve to a set of nutrition facts and buying information in the
context of the supermarket but to cooking instructions in the context of
the home even though this seems a bit contradictory at first.

--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com]
4FAC4838B7D8D13FA6D92EDB4145521E79F0DF4B