RE: Architecture Document: Terminology: Dereferencable, Retrivabl e, R esolvable.

From: Williams, Stuart <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:52:25 +0100
To: "'Tim Berners-Lee'" <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, www-tag@w3.org

> I have used "dereference" to mean to "get that identified by" as in
> dereferencing a pointer.

Ok... but if the pointer were used on the left-hand side of an assignment,
would it not be being dereferenced?

	p->somefield = somevalue; //cf. PUT

> The meaning here is I think
> the same as your "retrieval, except that I prefer "dereference"
> as it seems to me to be an abstract function -- the referent
> as a function of the identifier, while 'retrieve" indicates motion
> of something (as in a Labrador trotting back with a duck).

:-) so far my black Labrador has yet to do that...

> In a computer system, you can dereference something which
> identifies a file or a document.

Yes... but, subject to access rights, I can  both read and write to a
file/document using such an identifier.

Certainly, one can say that, by definition the concept of dereference on the
Web is read only.

> Tim

Stuart