Re: URIEquivalence-15 and IRIs

Misha.Wolf@reuters.com wrote:

> I think the IRI spec [1] should state explicitly that by "character-by-
> character equivalent" we mean that all of these (taken from a para a bit
> further on) are different:
> -  foo://example.com/XML
> -  foo://example.com/XM%4C
> -  foo://example.com/XM%4c
>
> After all, the Namespaces spec [2] states that:
>    [Definition:] URI references which identify namespaces are considered
>    identical when they are exactly the same character-for-character.
> and there has been discussion of what exactly this means.  Just repeating
> it won't, IMO, clear up the confusion.

OK, is the option open to us of deciding that the Namespaces spec, by
"character-for-character", really meant that the latter of the two above
must always be treated as equal, and furthermore equal to the first
because in this case the hex-escaped char 'L' is in the "safe" set?

Second question, if we could do this, should we?  I.e. do people feel
that these really are effectively always the same URI in all possible
sets of circumstances?  Seems that way to me.  -Tim