Re: URIEquivalence-15 and IRIs

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 08:34:51 -0700
To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> Unfortunately that horse has left the barn. The namespaces spec already
> states that namespace URIs are compared character for character. Current
> interpretation of that and current software practice is that ~ and %7e
> and %7E are *not* the same.

Well, in point of fact I think that %7e and %7E are the same in any
rational world, and I think we should try to get there.

The namespaces spec says "character by character" largely because this
issue hadn't occurred to us at that time.  I think that we could choose
to reinterpret the term right now with generally beneficial effect and
with minimal software breakage.

I also think that we could write down a set of carefully limited
circumstances where software could un-%-escape before comparing, once
again to beneficial effect and with minimal breakage.

Having said that, I'll have to go back and carefully re-read the
dialogue between Martin/Misha/Chris to get a better understanding and
find out if I'm wrong. -Tim