Re: [namespaceDocument-8] 14 Theses, take 2

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:26:24AM -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
> >6. Where content negotiation is used, it should only be used to
> >negotiate between documents which really are equivalent - they
> >basically say the same thing in a different language.  For
> >example, it would not be appropriate to give and RDF schema and
> >XML schema for a namespace because they really contain different
> >information, and a machine or human would be fooled into thinking
> >it knew the import of a document, when really it had been given
> >something different.
>
> Good catch.  I had envisioned people saying "get me a schema"
> and saying whether they wanted XSD or Relax or DTDs via
> content-negotiation.  I guess that would be unsound.  -Tim

I'd be interested to hear TBL's (and maybe MarkB's; think resource
modeling ;) response to this; it seems a little closer to a (somewhat
fuzzy) line.

jpg vs. gif is clearly appropriate for conneg; I don't think many
would dispute text/plain vs. text/html (in most cases). What about
jpg vs. gif vs. SVG?

I agree that there's a clear distinction between RDF Schema and XML
Schema; I'm less sure that there is between XSD, Relax and DTD.

I think the overriding principle, from a URI perspective, is to give
each thing that needs identity a URI. One can do conneg when there
are a number of roughly equivalent (in information contained). These
are somewhat orthoganal; one can do conneg and have only one URI,
one can do conneg as well as have many URIs for the different
representations, and one can just have a bunch of URIs.

Back to the immediate subject, though, using a directory format is
basically doing agent-driven negoatiation anyway.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/