Re: PIs considered harmful Was: XML-SW, a thought experiment

Eric van der Vlist wrote:

> Do we need out of band signals in addition to the in band signal (ie the tree
> of elements and attributes)?

I have been thinking about killer apps for out of band signalling to try
to answer to this question and, here are some proposals:

- Addition of PSVI information embedded in the instance documents [1].
- Meta data. A Dublin Core variant expressed as PIs would be
   immediatly usable everywhere (even in vocabularies having made no
   provision for any type of meta data).
- And even a variant of RDDL using PIs instead of XLink would have
   been cool and less verbose (RDLL elements are truly "Processing
   Instructions").

I am begining to wonder if out band signalling -using PIs or not- hasn't
a big role to play for the Semantic Web :) !

Eric

[1] http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/xml-dev/1042297--
See you in Seattle.
                                        http://knowledgetechnologies.net/