Re: Namespace dispatching

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:39:58 -0800
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
CC: WWW TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
Patrick Stickler wrote:

> Such as XHTML 1.0 Strict, Transitional, and Frameset document
> types, all of which have the same namespace and nearly identical
> vocabulary but not identical content models.

Are there three XHTML "vocabularies" or just three DTDs? We could just
think of them as ONE language with ONE processing model that happens to
have three different DTDs depending on how picky you (either author or
recipient) want to be.

> to which one might have a choice of resolving to DTD, XML Schema,
> RELAX NG, etc. all of which define the document model in question.

I think that the three different DTDs are like the difference between an
XML Schema and a RELAX NG. They may check different things in slightly
different ways but the *processing model* is the same and that's what's
most important.

 Paul Prescod