New question: distinguished status of http:?

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:17:12 +0000
To: <www-tag@w3.org>
In reading TAG-team responses on namespace and content-type issues, I note
that a prefererence for HTTP: scheme URIs is expressed.  The rationale is
clear enough -- that the URI should be dereferencable -- but it does raise
a question in my mind.

Does TAG consider that the HTTP: scheme has a distinguished status among
URI schemes?  For example, a dereferencable URI might be FTP: or LDAP: or a
scheme indicating one of a number of other deployed protocols for
retrieving information.

I submit that one architectural benefit of the IETF DDDS work [1] is that
it allows separation of naming authority concerns from URI dereferencing
concerns, thus avoiding the creation of a special /primus inter pares/
status for the HTTP: URI scheme simply because the HTTP protocol happens to
be one of the most widely deployed at this time.

#g
--

[1] http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-ddds-toc-01.txt
     http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-ddds-05.txt