Re: [namespaceDocument-8] 14 Theses, take 2

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2002 00:22:11 -0500
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 16:50, Tim Bray wrote:
> Several people had trouble with thesis 14 "Namespace documents
> should not be schemas"; mostly it seemed, based on lack of agreement
> as to what a schema is or should be.  I've redrafted that one to
> make it clear that we're talking about the mostly-syntactic schemas
> of today (e.g. DTDs, XML Schemas), what the world calls schemas
> today - and put the word "schemas" in quotes in the thesis statement.

I'm not sure point 14 is strictly necessary, as it seems mostly to be a
special case of point 13.

"Namespace documents should not favor the needs of any one application
or application class" seems to make it plain that validation-oriented
schemas shouldn't be privileged in any event.

Between 12 (which I consider critical) and 13, it looks like namespace
documents should have a human-readable form and should promote the
distribution of a diverse set of resources useful for different kinds of
applications - including schemas for validating applications, but giving
them no special privilege.

That sounds good to me, whatever "schemas" may mean.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!