Re: PIs considered harmful Was: XML-SW, a thought experiment

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:29:23 -0500
To: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: "'www-tag'" <www-tag@w3.org>, "Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
/ "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org> was heard to say:
| The idea of namespaces is that you can use one to define a new
| element to do just what you wanted to do with the PI, but you give
| it a URI name, and allow possibilities such as using existing tools
| for parsing and test for and converting them and so on.
| What is there which stops you using an element?

I have a vocabulary over which I wish to maintain tight control (one
which does not and will not allow optional elements from random
namespaces). But I still want the ability to sometimes stick in little
bits of application-specific info.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | The stone fell on the pitcher? Woe to the
XML Standards Engineer | pitcher. The pitcher fell on the stone? Woe to