RE: XML-SW, a thought experiment

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:51:54 -0500
To: "'www-tag'" <www-tag@w3.org>
At 10:01 PM -0800 2/6/02, David Orchard wrote:
>This is really great stuff.  While I think that PIs should also be lopped

I wouldn't. PIs are quite useful in practice. Eliminating them would
hurt way too much. It is useful to be able to step out of the markup
for processor-specific uses like PHP and stylesheets.

>  and XInclude for entity replacement and an optional XML Schema
>validation level added, I can certainly live with this.

These can be layered quite cleanly on top of well-formed XML for
those who need them. I don't see any reason for putting them in the
core spec. With regard to schemas (and DTDs for that matter) I do
wonder where default attributes fit in. Just part of the PSVI but not
the pre-SVI I suppose.