Re: how to specify a URL in a Schema?

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:03:32 -0800
To: Jeff Sonstein <jeffs@it.rit.edu>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Jeff Sonstein wrote:

> pardon the interruption...
>
> I am working on developing a W3C XML Schema
> for the next generation of VRML
> and I am trying to figure out a reasonable way
> to specify that an element or attribute must be a URL...
> any pointers/examples would be greatly appreciated

I believe XML Schema has an AnyURI data type that might do what you
want.  Speaking pedantically, I note that there is no longer any
authoritative definition i.e. RFC you can point to to explain what you
mean when you say "URL".  RFC 2396 is pretty well what there is, and it
defines URIs, so URIs, not URLs, is what we have to work with going
forward. -Tim