Re: SOAP's prohibiting use of XML internal subset

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 16:19, Tim Bray wrote:

> Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> > It may be good to start out by separating
> > the notions of subset (a proper subset of U{XML})
> > and profile (a cross-product of subsets of U{XML}).
>
> Hey, my stake is on the ground on this one: check out
> http://www.textuality.com/xml/xmlSW.html - the right answer is
>
>       XML1.1
>       - DTDs (& hence entities)
> +namespaces
>    + Infoset
>   + xml:base
>   ==========
>       XML-SW
>
> Which *nobody* will need to subset and *anybody* can build on (with the
> sole exception of the MathML people, who are stuck with XML 1.* forever
> because they want names for all their special characters).

Some of the mathml people that I talked to were willing
to go with grounding character names in URI space via
namespaces, i.e.
  <... xmlns:char="http://www.w3.org/YYYY/mathmlchars">

	<char:frac14/>
  </...>
in place of
	&frac14;

something similar, <mchar name="frac14"/> was in earlier
drafts, e.g.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-MathML2-20000328/chapter3.html#presm:mchar

I gather it didn't survive... I wonder if they document
why not... well, the changes section only lists changes
between mathml 1 and mathml 2.