Re: toward HTTP as IETF best practice/IANA policy for registries?

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:35:51 +0100
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

At 12:41 PM 8/16/02 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>Roy reminded us of the new CRISP working group:
>
>   Cross Registry Information Service Protocol
>   http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/crisp-charter.html
>
>and suggested that it seemed pretty straightforward
>to do this sort of thing with an HTTP server.
>Perhaps that's one place where we should discuss
>the use of HTTP for IANA registries.

I raised this with the CRISP WG chair (Ted Hardie) following the earlier
comment to this effect, and he confirmed what I suspected that the scope of
CRISP is somewhat narrower than general registry "... charter is limited to
domain-registry/registrar/registrant administrative services (replacing
that portion of whois, essentially, without being backwards compatible with
whois)".

Ted suggested that it might be helpful to engage Leslie Daigle
(leslie@thinkingcat.com) in discussions about assignment of identifiers.

#g

PS:  I might be prepared to help with a draft, but not anytime in the next
month.  (Also, as I think you are aware, I don't wholly buy what often
seems to be the preferred W3C position of HTTP:-for-everything.)

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>