Re: Public list or not? (Was What are Semantics?)

Paul,

Please accept my appologies for continuing this
discussion when perhaps it is not appropriate. This
topic struck a cord with me personally this morning,
so for the first time I'm responding.

All,

Are you discussing regulatory control or governance?
EDI standards and indeed semantic standards bodies
like ebXML and RosettaNet can spend years in gaining
consensus on semantics for their communities.

It seems by attempting to force XML into a predefined
set of XML tags like XHTML, some central body will
control what will and will not be qualified as
semantic.

Whereas it seems to me that the power and benefit of
XML is that any community can define a set of tags
that have meaning and a purpose for them. This should
not be lost.

Perhaps it might be beneficial to consider qualified
symantics as those where a given community has some
form of published list or a published namespaces of
some sort.

Merriam-Webster defines the following:
semantics: of or relating to meaning in language
language: the words, their pronunciation, and the
methods of combining them used and understood by a
community
community: a unified body of individuals
meaning: to have in the mind as a purpose

Regards,
Dave