Re: Public list or not? (Was What are Semantics?)

tbray@textuality.com writes:

> Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>
> > 4. Is it acceptable to publish raw XML on the Web? While this was one of
> > the original goals of XML 1.0
>
> BTW I don't agree that this was ever a goal of 1.0.  -Tim

Tim,

What is your reading of the following taken from the Abstract of the XML 1.0
Recommendation?

"The Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a subset of SGML that is completely
described in this document. Its goal is to enable generic SGML to be served,
received, and processed on the Web in the way that is now possible with
HTML."

What does that sentence mean? It clearly relates to a "goal" for XML 1.0. But
what it the goal that was made explicit for "generic SGML"?

In my posts I have, I think, consistently referred to generic XML or SGML
although I think Kynn referred to "arbitrary XML" and Elliotte to "raw XML".

Andrew Watt