Re: New Issue: Range of URI+fragment dereference function (new issue?)

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:02:53 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org

/ Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> was heard to say:
|> Uh... it said 'circle or spline'; if it meant circle element,
|> it should have said so.
|
| Fine. But the XPointer specification says it addresses elements. So the
| architecture document is at odds with the XPointer specification.
|
|  * http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr/#bare-names

I think we can finesse that point as follows:

  For instance, if the representation is an HTML document, the
  fragment identifier designates a hypertext anchor. If the
                                                     ^^^^^^
  representation is an XML document, the fragment identifier
  designates an element. In the case of a graphics format, a URI
  reference might designate a circle or spline. In the case of RDF, a
  a URI reference can designate anything, be it abstract (e.g., a
  dream) or concrete (e.g., my car). The plain text media type does
  not define semantics for fragment identifiers.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM    | Many who find the day too long, think life
XML Standards Architect | too short.--Charles Caleb Colton