Re: whenToUseGet-7 Making SOAP Restful

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:51:08 -0400
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, www-tag@w3.org
Hi Stuart,

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 09:09:46AM +0100, Williams, Stuart wrote:
> Just a thought anyway... a 'null' SOAP request message as the 'trigger' to
> use HTTP GET rather than some other 'magical' incantation. What do you
> think? Others? Mark B?

Noah's example was a good one to help illustrate the different ways in
which one can think of using SOAP, especially as it relates to making
use of the semantics of application protocols.

But IMO, trying to build something HTTP-like on top of SOAP, which in
turn will often be on top of HTTP, is quite impractical and unnecessary.
It's true that HTTP's extensibility and processing models aren't as rich
as SOAP's, but also IMO, these small improvements are no where near
enough to justify the huge cost of deploying such a solution.

I think that if SOAP has a future on the Web (as opposed to on the
Internet), it will be with the chameleon use where both SOAP and HTTP
are used by developers at the same time (though an EDI-like use of SOAP
over POST is fine, it's a niche).  But I've yet to see a SOAP library
that supports such a use.

MB