RE: whenToUseGet-7 Making SOAP Restful

Hi Mark,

Hmmm.... not sure I was trying to build "something HTTP-like" on top of
SOAP. One of the 'complaints' levelled against the current HTTP binding in
the SOAP WDs is there are no circumstances under which it uses HTTP GET. I
was offering a slight modification to Noah's suggestion, which at least to
me, seems to provide a natural way integrate GET into the request-response
MEP. As with Noah's suggestion the burden of generating the request URI
falls on the SOAP application, ie. it doesn't provide a scheme for URI
encoding the contents of a SOAP message...

I was hoping that you might respond along the lines of... that looks
interesting... but apparently not.

> I think that if SOAP has a future on the Web (as opposed to on the
> Internet), it will be with the chameleon use where both SOAP and HTTP
> are used by developers at the same time (though an EDI-like use of SOAP
> over POST is fine, it's a niche).  But I've yet to see a SOAP library
> that supports such a use.

As I have said before, that seems to me very much like treating SOAP as a
media-type and the protocol is then HTTP with representations that just
happen to be contained in SOAP envelope. [Observation, not a complaint].
There would be no need for a SOAP/HTTP binding, GET/PUT/HEAD/DELETE/POST all
available as specified in HTTP. Equally, no sense of an independent
abstraction of what SOAP is.

> MB
> --
> Mark Baker, Chief Science Officer, Planetfred, Inc.
> Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.      mbaker@planetfred.com
> http://www.markbaker.ca   http://www.planetfred.com

Regards

Stuart